Tuesday, August 4, 2015

Dark Angels WIP

Its the month of August and I'm focusing this month on my Dark Angels army. Not much green armor in this force as it will be mainly Deathwing and Ravenwing Formations. I've been quite under the weather for a while with Nurgle's Blessings. Now back in the saddle to assemble and to paint :)
I finally got my Deathwing all basecoated in the bone white armor they are so very famous for. I started with painting the helmets/face of the models first. This has been a point of origin for me when I start to detail the model as the face provides inspiration for the rest of the model.
I mixed in and converted some of the Terminators from the Dark Vengeance box set. I'm slowly replacing my metal Terminator minis.
Basecoat work all done on the Deathwing Knights as well. They will be quite a treat to paint. I had to include a unit of them as they are now also part of the Deathwing.

Despite my love of the newer plastic miniatures, there are some metal classics that I have difficulty letting go of.
And this metal Venerable Dreadnought is one of them. I really like the detailed gothic patterns on his armor. Here he is primed black.
Did a first layer of Baneblade Brown and also painted the metallic areas with Chainmail and then washed with Badab Black. I'm using up some of the older paints and washes as they are all expiring lol! And quite fitting for a old mini.
Base color of bone white armor also up to speed with the Terminators. Man, this mini is quite heavy lol!
Still got a ways to go. But I am putting finishing touches on the head/helm, and then work will start proper on the main body.
Tried to do some NMM gold on some of the areas of the Venerable Dreadnought. I used the NMM Box Set of paints from Vallejo. It comes with a step by step instruction. I rate the box set 8/10. Its got really good colors and I'm glad I got it. The instructions were clear. But I felt advice on more gradual blending of the colors would have made the NMM transition between the layers much better.

And the army would really not be complete without the Ravenwing!
Mainly because I can't really field a CAD pure Deathwing list anymore due to the Reserve restrictions on the Deathwing Redemption Force.
So I'm taking 2 Ravenwing Attack Squadrons. One Squadron consists of the 6 Bikers while the other consists of 3 Attack Bikes.
And a Land Speeder Typhoon for each of the Ravenwing Squadrons to top it off.

I leave you with a metal miniature which I have had for more than 9 years.
I have been fielding him as my counts as Belial in my Deathwing army. I painted him many years ago and he brings back a lot of good memories and tough battles.
I did a conversion for the top of his Terminator armor to symbolise his vigilance and unending mission both night and day. He actually represents the previous Grand Master of the Deathwing, Gabriel aka Broken Knife.

And this is my army list for the Deathwing/ Ravenwing:

The Hunt (1850pts)
Dark Angels: Codex (2015) (Formation Detachment)

Formation
Deathwing Redemption Force

Belial
Storm Bolter and Sword of Silence

Deathwing Command Squad
Cyclone Missile Launcher, Deathwing Apothecary, Deathwing Company Banner, Deathwing Sergeant, 5x Deathwing Terminators, 2x Thunder Hammer and Storm Shield
Deathwing Knights

4x Deathwing Knights, Knight Master

Deathwing Terminator Squad
Cyclone Missile Launcher, 5x Deathwing Terminators (incl. Sergeant), 2x Thunder Hammer and Storm Shield

Deathwing Terminator Squad
Cyclone Missile Launcher, 5x Deathwing Terminators (incl. Sergeant), 2x Thunder Hammer and Storm Shield

Venerable Dreadnought Squadron
Venerable Dreadnought
Assault Cannon
Drop Pod
Storm Bolter
Power Fist
Storm Bolter

Ravenwing Attack Squadron
Ravenwing Bike Squad
2x Plasmagun, 5x Ravenwing Biker
Ravenwing Sergeant
Combi-Grav

Ravenwing Land Speeder
Heavy Bolter, Typhoon Missile Launcher


Ravenwing Attack Squadron

Ravenwing Attack Bike Squad

Ravenwing Attack Bike
Multi-Melta

Ravenwing Attack Bike
Multi-Melta

Ravenwing Attack Bike
Heavy Bolter

Ravenwing Land Speeder
Heavy Bolter, Typhoon Missile Launcher

The Ravenwing allows me to place something on the table on Turn 1 so I don't auto lose haha! The force has nice fast moving elements for Maelstrom objective taking. And a nice hammer in the form of the Deathwing.

Have a very happy August everyone! I would also like to wish everyone good health.

For the Lion!

3 comments:

  1. Sweet! Another 1850 coming to our tables? Are you planning to flock them too?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yup will just be the standard rocky base with some grass.

    Wanted to do a space hulk metal deck base, but decided not too lol!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooooo ok I wanna play against them when they are ready!

    ReplyDelete